Here is how my aftercare routine looks like to help you out.
1. Finger Detangle – Don’t brush. Take your time and make sure you gently finger detangle your hair while removing each braid.
2. I highly recommend applying hair mayonnaise, section your hair in 4 parts, apply hair mayonnaise generously and wear a shower cap🧢 for 30 minutes 🕠
3. Wash Your Hair. Use a sulfate free clarifying shampoo to clean your scalp after removing braids. 🧖🏾♀️
4. Deep Condition Your Hair. Comb through
5. Rinse out your hair and dry
6. Trim Your Hair💇♀️
Your hair may look beautiful with nice curls after taking your braids out, however, it the best time to clean your hair. If for some reason you can’t wash your hair immediately and need to sleep with unwashed hair, part your hair in 2 sections and braid before bed. DO NOT sleep with your curls unprotected (or tied up) after taking out your braids as it may tangle it up and in some cases leave knots.
Excess shampoo will dry your hair and leave knots too. Focus on your scalp when using shampoo.
Another very important point: If this is your first time getting braids, ask questions. If not YouTube has millions of tutorials to guide you. Remember, African Americans have been doing braids for thousand of years and each individual may vary but some grew up in braids and know what to do. So, If you hair type is different or you are just doing braid because you like how it looks on that instagram model then please ask questions before getting them done or taking them out. You may be shocked at how much work people put into it to keep their hair healthy with and without braids.
For more about Braids please visit our website on www.braidsalon.com.au/blog
Feel free to comment with your questions and share!!